The rain stops for a moment as we approach Święta Lipka. It makes us very happy since we really want to record this place. More than 100 thousand pilgrims/tourists come here every year. That’s why Basilica of Visitation in Święta Lipka was dubbed ‘Częstochowa of the North’.
The history of this place dates back to Prussian times, when oral legends emerged about a prisoner locked in a nearby Kętrzyn castle who carved a sculpture of Holy Mary and thanks to that was freed. On the road to Reszlo, he hanged it on a nearby lime tree. The sculpture soon became known for various healings. Unfortunately the first chapel was destroyed in times of Reformation in 1524 and replaced with gallows.
A hundred years later, construction of a new chapel started. The place kept expanding over the years – mostly due to arriving pilgrims who couldn’t fit in it. Thanks to that, it became one of the most interesting examples of baroque architecture in Poland.