It’s 5.30 in the morning when we arrive at the castle. The security guard looks at us suspiciously but after a few words of explanation we’re all set. We go to the courtyard to start filming from there.
The history of this castle is filled with destruction and restoration. In 13th century it used to be a small castle-town which was destroyed during the Lithuanian raid in 1363. Then, in 15th century – bishop Paul Giżycki ordered the addition of a so called Small House to the remaining tower and the erection of walls around it. Then, various parts were steadily expanded until the time of Deluge, when Stefan Czarnecki fought for this castle. More damage came with the Second Northern War. And so on, and so on – Kościuszko’s Uprising along with Napoleonic wars also had their impact on the castle.
It also burned twice – in 1941 and in 1945. Today – after 15 years of restoration – as you can see in the film, it’s here.